Old 26-02-2003, 02:31 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Default Suitable fish for a planted community tank - looking for experiences

Many many thanks for the responses -

Looks like I'll be avoiding the puffers - too bad because they're pretty
neat-looking critters.

I've got my neons in a quarantine tank for now (just got them a week or
so ago) and let them grow a bit. I've had neons in with angels before
without problems, so I'll try my luck again after I let them grow a bit.
The last neons I had died from an ich breakout and old-tank-syndrome
about a year or so ago, but they'd been living with a large angel for
years prior to that. They were bigger than the new ones I have now, tho.

I've had the one cory for about 3 years, but I guess another one or two
wouldn't hurt.

The pl*co will outgrow the 55gal eventually, but this coming summer I'm
probably going to be replacing the 55g with a 125. Should take a good
while for the pl*c to outgrow that one, hopefully.

As far as the cichlids go - aren't angels cichlids? They seem to do
well in a community tank - I've kept them for years. Are they less
agressive than other cichlids (at least the yellow cichlids I'm
wondering about)?

pete - amazed again at the wisdom in the group

Pete in the Colorado Mtns wrote:
Hi All -

I have a 55g planted tank, 80w of 6500K light, no CO2 (not yet at least
altho I keep drooling over the systems I see out there :-) It's a
community tank with Otos (6), Angels (4), 4" gold gourami, 9 small
neons, 3 serpae tetras, 1 white-skirt, 1 5" pl*co & 1 cory. I've seen
some fish in the lfs that caught my fancy, and am wondering if folks
here have had any experiences with these that they could share. I want
to continue the community tank, and with fish that won't eat the plants.

Here are the fish:

Electric Yellow Labidochromus (grows to 4" I believe)
Bumble Bee african cichlid (up to 4")
Dwarf puffer
Gold Mickey Mouse platy (and the red version too)
Lemon tetra
Gold Pristella
Decta Sunrise Tequila Guppy (really neat looking fish - never seen one
before the lfs visit.

Any experiences/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
--
pete in colorado

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."