Old 28-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Mary Alice Kropp

Default Flourish Excel as carbon source

I have a 125g planted with 120W of light over it, would it be good for me
use this, currently I only use tetra florapride...

Excel would probably end up being expensive for you to use on a tank that
large. I only use it in my 10 gallon- even for the 55, it would not be cost
effective. If you want to add CO2, either DIY yeast or a pressurized
cannister would be more cost effective in the long run. But with your low
light, you probably don't really need to add anything in CO2.

I do have 6 150g carbon baggies between my 2 fluval 404 canister filters

(won't this
give carbon back to the system?)

No, actually, the carbon will pull some of the stuff you are adding into
your system out of it. I'd get rid of the carbon bags altogether.

let me know if I need this...as I cannot seem to get my java fern to do
well...it might be too much lighting

Again, you probably don't need to add CO2 with your lower light levels. Java
fern is one of the plants that will do well with lower light, so I don't
think that is your problem. And it does depend on what you mean by "doing
well." IME, Java fern tends to be a slower grower than some other plants, so
if you simply mean that it isn't growing like a weed, that's probably quite
normal.

I don't remember off the top of my head what the formulation of FloraPride
is, but you may need to add a more complete fertilizer- something like
Flourish and/or Flourish Iron and Trace.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 1/30/03

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.