Old 25-05-2003, 08:32 PM
paslaz

Default Need info on October Glory Maple trees

Beeky - thanks..the trees are actually multi-stem clump - more of a
large tree/bush than the tradtional single-stem.

Were the growth characteristics that you mentioned about the
multi-stem clump, or single-stem?

The caliber on them is probably 4''. They are at least 15-20' right
now and massive, "instant shade" multi-stem trees.

The $700 is installed. I think the tree itself is $450. But, I agree
- it is high - but I haven't found them anywhere else, let alone for
less cost.

I did see another (Red something) clump maple at another nursery
nearby for $900 installed..but no competing nurseries with October
Glory yet.

I do live in a nice area, so that's probably contributing to the
somewhat gouging costs..(the landscapers have a supply and demand with
a lot of disposable income around, so..)

- Jim

On Sun, 25 May 2003 15:17:42 GMT, wrote:

Paslaz,

'October Glory' is a variety of red maple, Acer rubrum. Red maple is
very tolerant of soil conditions so you should not have a problem.

'October Glory' was developed by Princeton Nurseries here in central
NJ and I have seen a LOT of them. I would estimate the ultimate height
to be 40-60 feet in 25 years. In your climate zone I would expect the
lower end of the growth range. Width is about 2/3 of the height on
mature trees, about 1/2 on younger ones.

Red maples are not very susceptible to wind damage.

Red maples produce ripe seeds from late spring to early summer
depending on climate. The seeds are "helicopters", botanically referred
to as "samaras".

$700 each sounds astronomically high, how big are these trees?

--beeky

paslaz wrote:

Hi..we're considering buying several large October Glory clump Maples
and I'm hoping someone can help with a couple of quick questions..

- Are these good for hard (clay) soil and a lot of sun?

- How tall and wide do they get?

- Are they strong trees? Suscepible to wind?

- Do these have traditional Maple "helicopter" seeds? (The landscape
guy is trying to tell us they don't, but I thought all Maples got
these and they get everywhere & make a heckuva mess?)

We live in Michigan (Detroit area) and want to make sure it's a good
investment as they're fairly expensive ($700 each, planted - but they
are big, specimen trees and will provide us instant screening).

Thanks!

Jim