Old 26-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Getting rid of Plant Debris

"Chris_S" wrote:

Thanks for the picture. Well I bought 2 snails the other day, and the lfs
did not even mention the type of snail they were. Not sure they knew. They
are big.

Most stores don't know the species of the snails they sell, and simply
label them "apple" or "mystery". Some of which really do get as big as
an apple.

I just looked up the pictures for the Canaliculata, and going by the shell
shape, I think these are Canaliculata. Guess I should take them out.

Look at www.applesnail.net for not only pictures, but line drawings
that detail the minute differences between species that will help you
identify them, as well as 3D rotating diagrams. A very cool site.

But I don't think they do much of anything. They have not hardly moved at
all. They sit in one place all the time. One lost his footing and is now
just floating around on the surface.

This is not unusual when they're first put in a tank. Figure they had
a rough time in shipping, perhaps imperfect conditions at the store,
then got moved one more time to arrive in your tank. They're probably
just a little stressed. Mine were pretty dull at first, too, but once
they got comfortable, they started zipping (snail zipping, sure, but
zipping nonetheless) all over. A good sized apple snail with tentacles
fully extended and waving about is actually quite pretty.

--
www.ericschreiber.com