Old 26-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default Caffeine for slugs and snail control

Interesting, I may give it a try although I have so few (I see one every few
weeks) I'll not know if it works unless I get an infestation (god forbid).

For slugs, try a product called "Sluggo" which if I remember correctly is
Iron Phosphate. Non toxic to animals which the other common slug killing
product can't boast. Seems to work well outside in the garden.

Better yet, if you wrap the legs of your benches in a copper strip an inch
or so wide, they won't crawl across it. I also wrapped the frame of my
greenhouse in it (I have a relatively small one - 8'x8' lean-to). We have
LOTS of slugs here in Seattle and I almost never find one in my greenhouse
and if I do, I can usually attribute it to something I've brought in -
tomato plant's I'm hardening off for example.

Another thing I do is leave the alge on the GH walls which they seem to like
then I go out at night, turn on a light in the GH then go outside and look
in - very easy to spot them. Also, if I see their tell tail tracks during
the day, I know to do the night routine until I find the bugger.

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
I don't know about slugs, but spraying the stuff on-, and saturating the
medium of plants infested with bush snails seems to work.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Wendy" wrote in message
Hi John, Do yourself a favor & get some stuff called "Thats It" for

slugs
&
snails. It is not the run of
the mill type pellets but granules so pets won't eat it. I use it in the
greenhouse & cover it when I
water.
I must tell you that there was a discussion about coffee extract & I

started
saving my used coffee
dregs. I had a huge bowl full out side & it got rained on. I covered it

with
a plastic bag & just
yesterday lifted it up. Found 4 slugs on the plastic bag covered in the
red/brown coffee juice!!
So my experiment is kaput!
Cheers Wendy

"John Whistler" wrote in message
I've read about a study in Hawaii showing a 1% solution of caffeine
controlling slugs and snails in orchids in this newsgroup. We've had

some
pretty wet weather in Virginia lately and they're beginning to get
bothersome. I picked up some No Doz tablets which are 200 mg of

caffeine.
Has anyone been trying the caffeine solution? How would I make a 1%

solution
from 200 mg tablets?
Thanks,
John Whistler