Old 26-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Brendan OMara

Default Forced to move Rose bush, how to prevent shock?

Roseburg, Oregon is the home of my grandfather's
two roses. His old property will sell soon and I want to
transplant them 2 hours drive north to Jefferson Oregon,
zone 6.

Obviously speed is the answer, get them back in
the ground, and I'll have the holes prepared,
but this is obviously not the preferred
time of year to do this move, but I have no choice..
do it now or loose them forever. I'm new to roses
and would appreciate guidance on exactly how
to go about this transplant so as to (almost)
guaranty success since they have sentimental
value.

These monsters, which I do not have identified,
are at least 40 years old with large root mass
I'm sure and thick stocks by now, haven't been
pruned in ages, overgrown etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated on proper transport
packaging to prevent shock, and even some kind words
of wisdom on the fertilizers/prep I should do to
prevent shock when replanting at this time of year.
What if there is root rot, how should I handle that
at this time of year? Rinse the roots and cut the old stuff out? Don't
rinse the roots? I don't know what's wise.

The transport can be in my air
conditioned SUV, or if you think it
would be better for some reason I can throw them on a small trailer
wrapped up in tarps (to prevent wind damage
and sun damage), again I dont know what would
be best for the plants so please advise.

Thanks!
-Brendan
Jefferson Oregon