Old 26-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Michael Gerzog

Default (OT) Caffeine for slugs and snail control

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote in message ...

Isn't that quite a lot? 4g ingested is rumored to be lethal to
adult humans, about 2g for babies?

I know I get the jitters after the fourth espresso or so, which should
be something like 700-900mg of caffeine, depending on the coffee and
degree of roasting.

No, the 200 mg is the number I've always heard for coffee (and No Doz,
with that amount, claims to have the same level of caffeine as a cup
of coffee.)

I've never heard that 4g could kill a normally healthy adult human,
but I'm not a doctor (nor even been offered the chance to play one on
TV). I suppose it could be the official LD50 number. I wouldn't be
terribly inclined to try it, but I do drink a lot of coffee and don't
think even a gallon of coffee (a bit over 4g) would kill me, though I
imagine I wouldn't much enjoy it much. I'm sure it depends on the
person, and how much coffee you drink on a regular basis.

The figure for babies isn't suprising, assuming it's correct. Apart
from developmental/physiological differences, and unless something is
terribly wrong, a baby's weight would be a quarter or less that of an
adult.

MG