Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Ann

Default Need Advice on Cobblestones

Peter Ross expounded:

If anyone has some experience with cement and cobblestones I'd be
obliged for their thoughts. I want to make part of my garden straight
cobblestones but don't have the knes or energy to lay a concrete or
cement foundation. Neither do I have the money to afford to have it
delivered premixed. What I am wondering is if I lay the stones (between
2 to 4 inches diameter) on the soil and then pour dry cement over them
and brush it between the crevices, will it harden enough to hold the
stones in place if I simply spray water over the area? Has anyone tried
anything like this or have an alternate way to ensure that the stones
are held in place? One person at a garden center suggested using bags
of lime but I couldn't quite understand how the lime would adhere to the
stones or harden enough to hold them.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Peter

Are you preparing the bed beneath the cobblestones? Around here, we
dig down 8" or so beneath where the cobbles (or bricks) will be
placed, put in a tamped bed of sand or stonedust (the latter is
preferred), lay the bricks/cobbles, and then spread stonedust over
all, sweeping into the cracks, and then wetting the whole thing down
to settle the dust. Add more if it needs it. No concrete bed needed.
Still quite a bit of work, but it should last for a very long time.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA