Old 28-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Jap. Maple, looks good, not growing

Hi Jim

I have the same problem with a Desojo and with the second almost similar name
I just bought , all leaves out but no more growth ( both has been repoted 2 and 1
month ago )
Some sprouts from trunk and branches are in still life since 2 months 2 mm long
and do not open
The Coral is shily pushing since 3 days new leaves and tridents push like weeds

yesterday I gave with water ST , Peter grow 20 20 20 and some Humic stuff I have

to see what happens .. before I was just putting aburakatsu corks inside the water
for
one hour and water afterwards..( I do not put the "corks" on the soil as dry &
mold )
every other day with
I have sun from 11: am until 7: pm
The penthaphilla on the contrary made a double growth the candles are opening the

needles and new candles have pushed and are half way growing , opening again
from the middle of the top of 2003 growth
amazing ( I am in Switzerland)
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hello to all,
Well, my little Acer palmatum seemed to be having a nice
spring. It had a good burst of growth along with all the other
deciduous trees but hasn't even budged a bud in 6-8 weeks at
least. I haven't done anything to it except water, and fertilize
biweekly.(M-gro 20-20-20 or Fish emulsion 5-1-1) It has been in
its present(1 gallon) container for almost a year. It gets plenty
of morning sun and dappled shade later in the day. Any ideas? Is
this normal? It looks healthy, it just stopped growing.

===============

As they say in your and my area, "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it." If the tree were UNhealthy, you'd know it. Many deciduous
trees have one flush of growth in the spring then do little or no
further growing. I'm not expert on Japanese (preferred term!)
maples, having none in pots and only one in the yard, but that
one also grew its flush of leaves this spring and hasn't added
any since.

If you do some pruning, you'll probably promote some new growth.

Don't fret.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --