Old 29-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Shiva

Default Fogging for insects with my Burgess Fogger? On ROSES?

On 28 May 2003 10:38:40 -0700, (Brendan OMara)
wrote:

Coastal Farm Supply. It's funny to me how Shiva wants to
shoot things down when he/she doesn't even understand the physical
pricipals and methods that make fogging a good method
of spray delivery.

I am so happy to have amused you, Brendan. May I remind you that we
are all learning here. If I am the only person who thinks fogging with
insecticide sounds insane, then, well, I can take it. But I suspect
that I am not.

Obviously I want to stay away from ingesting chemicals, but
none of that was the question...

Terribly sorry, but in unmoderated fora we can pretty much respond in
any way we like. Have you tried the Yahoo group Grow Roses? Lots of
great rosarians there who might be more able to answer your specific
question. Then there is always Garden Web.

nor is my choice of the potency
of chemicals the question... I was hoping someone has already
tried this approach of chemical delivery on ROSES, not start
an argument over chemical safety and it's effect on the
environment.

I feel for you. We just can't always get what we want, you know?

You also make different choices on these types of
things when you own farm land with no neighbors compared to some
of you city folk, that's why I just want to learn about the roses.

How about a crop duster?

Thanks again for those of you who responded, anyone else tried
this fogger method yet?

Ain't no "else" about it. Theo said he had considered it, but declined
to pursue it. He listed his reasons for doing so.

In my five years of reading this group daily, I have never seen this
method of pesticide delivery mentioned. My guess is that anyone who is
using it doesn't want to bring it up.

Oh, and by the way--a simple Google web search turns up all sorts of
good stuff on the Burgess Fogger, including what to use in it that is
apparently not too terribly toxic. One drawback I saw with regard to
efficacy is that the recommended product is entirely a contact
insecticide, meaning it kills anything breathing in the area. Then it
breaks down in about 24 hours. Therefore, all your beneficials such as
ladybugs, lacewings, etc will die, and yet there is no systemic or
residual effect upon unwanted sucking or chewing insects.

Orthenex does a much better job, protecting against sucking and
chewing pests for 7-10 days.

Best of luck!

"Theo Asir" wrote in message news:88cc1c32c66601a6db30184ee0722ebe@TeraNews.. .
Is it a genuine fog of suspended particles
or is it an aerosol/paint gun effect.
There is a difference.

Can you tell me what the difference is, Theo? I didn't know there was
one.

The one in nature consists of
100% humidity and sudden chilling of
saturated air. In nature ideally all
the fog particles will have the same size
and charge so they do not immediately clump.

Since this is not reproducible
artificial fog machines use chemicals
such as glycols to stabilize the particles once formed.
The mixture is heat evaporated, slightly
compressed & pushed out into the open
where it quickly cools to form fog.
Stabilization is needed because the particles are so small
they will quickly evaporate even in 90% humidity.

I'm not even gonna consider oil based fog.

The aerosol effect tries to spray
particles small enough. but the particle
sizes are not even & there is no charge
so they quickly clump and gravity takes over
loosing the fog effect.

The big down side with aerosol sprays is that
the nozzles are extremely small. even the smallest
particle will clog the nozzle.