Old 29-05-2003, 06:23 AM
David Wee

Default Onyx Sand Cloudiness

See, thing was, all my friends make fun of my tank since it *used* to be a
green water gross out festival. So as fortunate circumstances came about,
Im having a date and they told me she would run if she saw that tank.

So i got new Onyx sand, cleaned the tank out 100%, and put everythign back
in, now there was this cloudiness to worry about caused by the sand. In a
fit of fright, i went to the LFS and got Kordon's "TransClear".

Oh my god, this stuff is amazing. Just half an hour or so ago the water
was still in its dream like state (i.e. cloudy, hazy, and somewhat
ethereal), and now the water is pristinely clear.

Oh my. OKay well, im sold on this stuff. if all my fish and plants die
tomorrow morning because of the "TransClear" ill let you guys know.

David

In article QWbBa.154688$rt6.45593@sccrnsc02, WD wrote:

"David Wee" wrote in message

I finally got around to replacing my cheap coated gravel substrate with
Onyx Sand, in my 10 gallon. Im using an AquaClear 150 mini.. I rinsed off
the sand in a bucket for about 30 times (alot of water), and after a
certain point, I just felt, well, no matter how many times I rinse this
stuff, there is always going to be a cloud, so I just put it into my
aqaurium and filled up the water.

Now the "slight initial cloudiness" (as predicted by the bag) is not so
slight, nor is it not so initial..

The cloudiness is really starting to bother me. My aquaClear sponge is
seemingly much too porous to grab up ultra micorscopic silt, and im
wondering at this point, should i just put in my powerhead filter to
really help ? Whats the deal with the cloudiness? I just dont see the
small aqua clear sponge trapping all that cloud.

Help wanted.

I had this as well, and though Leighmo is correct, it will clear, I didn't
find it worth the trouble. Every time I move something, or prune my plants,
the tank is cloudy again for another 8 hours. My next tank, I used some play
sand, avaiable at Home Depot for 3 bucks a bag. Not as fine as the Onyx, but
it's still working great and almost zero cloudyness after 24 hours.
Since you've already got the stuff, I'd be sure the filters aren't
stirring up the bottom, and just be patient. I did a couple large water
changes as well, seemed to help.