Old 29-05-2003, 12:32 PM
jcart003

Default mandevilla advice

arden (NAearthMOM) wrote in message ...
I just purchased the most beautiful plant! It is already blooming
and trained on an arch. I put it underneath a nice trellis.
I repotted it and am hoping to bring it inside in the fall.
I read to get phosphorous rich fertilizer for it. Is holly tone rich in
phosphorous? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

I have a 5 year old mandevilla, in zone 6..... I use a 14 inch pot and
have a "small" (about 3 feet by 3 feet) trellis as a base, it is in
the pot. For the summer I set the pot where I want the plant and put
up a larger trellis to grow on. Come fall I try and slowly prune back
some of the longer vines to get the plant mostly on the small trellis
so I can move it in for the winter. I am blessed with an awesome
location with good heat and southern expposure for the winter so the
plant thrives all winter. I fertilize "heavily" when outside, using a
complete fert with micro nutrients (ala miracle grow), and lightly
over the winter. The plant gets better each year. Beware red spider
mites in the winter. I would suggest prophyactically treating the
plant 2-3 times over the winter..... I always forget and the plant
suffers. They are tough plnts and stand more cold than I would expect,
the 40's are fine for a few days. If you don't have the perfect place
to overwinter, like I do now, they will survive pretty poor conditions
(low light). Get them as good light as possible and keep cool and they
go sort of dormant, don't panic if all the leaves fall off, they can
recuperate... good luck