Old 30-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Trevor Woods

Default covering potatoes

On 29 May 2003 16:27:39 GMT, (FarmerDill) wrote:

Tuber production depends on darkness and moisure, the tubers are
fed by tiny root hairs on the stolnes and tubers, As long as the vine has roots
in the ground it will produce tubers above the root in anything that keeps
light out and some moisture in. This why potato towers, Cages, boxes in which
mulch is constantly added as the vine grows, work. True only Irish potatoes,
Sweet potatoes are a root with differnt requirements.

This is something I've been wanting to try with some of my potatoes,
but I'm unsure of the exact technique. Do you keep covering the plant
completely as it emerges?