Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Tomatolord

Default Frogs & Toads

I have a bronze frog
and
American bullfrog
and
Leopard frogs

I have a small pond and they just show up - but all of them are quiet none
make much noise, however, I live on a lake and the frogs are quite raucus
down at the lake and in the trees.

Tomatolord

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
[replying to my own post -- so what else is new???]

Many thanks to C. Bollinger, who emailed me a link to the most excellent
website http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html, I was quickly
able to determine that the toads in my yard are Fowler's Toads, based on
their song (I use the term "song" loosely, but it matches exactly the

"hey,
good lookin', can I buy you a drink?" that I hear nightly in my little

water
garden).

As for the frogs, I think I need to go take a digital photo of the

resident
frog in the above-mentioned water garden, as I don't think it's yet made a
sound!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
om...
I remember a thread a few years ago here, when I mentioned that I could

not
tell frogs & toads apart -- a problem that was quickly resolved when I
finally saw a frog in my teeny water garden! (Because all the other
critters were toads of various sizes.)

I was wondering if someone could tell me -- in 50 words or less! --

what
species of frog & toad we have here in the Triangle area?

I *think* the toads have all been the same species. There are

apparently
at
least 2 species of frog around my house: the "water garden" frog and

the
"hurricane frog" (maybe a green tree frog or some such?), known to me as

"hurricane frog" because during Hurricane Dennis or Floyd, said frog
appeared halfway up a wall *10 feet* from the nearest door!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh