Old 30-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

Default Botrytis, Mancozeb

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.c28fa5904d1f68ae9e84ecb014d023c0@105 4306496.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:
Using multiple agents is common enough that each manufacturer includes
a statment on their label describing what can be mixed and which must
have pH adjustment of the water and which must be used with a sticker
spreader.

Thanks, Cass! I'll take a look at the label and the Ortho site, I think
they may have that information too.

Boy, watch out following my advice on spraying! I did much more damage
to my roses this spring with a chemical than all the bugs, fungus and
nutritional deficits combined. But I do know that it is such a pain to
spray that if you have to do it, it makes sense to combine what can be
combined -- some organics, some fungicide for this, some fungicide for
that, some ferts -- so you don't have to do it as often.

The newer fungicides seem to be so very specific in their targets that
between rotating agents to avoid resistance, adjusting the pH of the
water (up or down), knowing what can be mixed and what can't be mixed,
knowing which require stickers and which have stickers built-in, and
having the weather forecast on hand, you need lots of time and planning
to do this right. The most effective fungicides seem to be terribly
expensive.

The upside - which is all-important to me - is that once you parse it
out, you can use Category III (Caution/Slightly Toxic) fungicides
instead of Category I fungicides (Danger/Poison). For me, that's the
difference between using a fungicide in a major outbreak and not using
anything at all. I don't have a single rose worth irreversible
blindness.