Old 01-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Neil Trotter

Default Pigeons

In article ,
said:

Help!!!!
A deterrent for pigeons please I have lost rows of brassicas after
netting then letting them see the air
Anyon any great ideas

This is my first year at this, but I've sown all my brassicas in trays
indoors, and have discovered that those planted out later/bigger have
had a better survival rate. That is to say, when they are beginning to
*ask* to be planted out, and larger leaves are beginning to develop.

Green broccoli planted a little early (4 leaves on seedlings) had a high
attrition rate (around 70%, bah!), though 100% of brussels sprouts
planted out much stronger (6" tall) are still there and developing well.

I did say I'm new to this, so it could be that pigeons just prefer
broccoli to sprouts, though 4 spare broc seedlings planted out later to
replace some of the dead ones are progressing best of all, so my current
theory is that small tender seedlings are just yummier to pigeons.

I haven't used netting, on the basis that I would try without for a year
to see how much of a problem there really is (and because I am lazy).
It's not been bad enough yet to convince me to use it next year.

Good luck,

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).