Old 03-02-2003, 11:49 PM
paghat

Default sweet peas-any secrets to success?

In article ,
unity (DGiunti) wrote:

In article ,
arden (NAearthMOM) writes:

Please fill me in!

Love caryn

They were the first plant I grew from seed when I was a child. So

they could
not really be hard to cultivate.

I suspect nasturtiums were the first I grew from seed, but sweetpeas were
either a close second or both during the same childhood year. In the late
1800s & before World War II, there were hundreds & hundreds of named
cultivars in all colors & they were quite the garden fad. Now the vast
majority of those varieties are extinct. The perennial ones are major
introduced weeds around here (puget sound) but pretty weeds at least.

-paghat the ratgirl

You should try and get a variety that does
well in your area. They do resent having their bed dry out too much

while they
are still in the sprout stage. Perhaps starting them in recycled annual
seedling trays would help because you could keep an eye on them.

But what sort of problems are you having with them? It's a bit early in the
season to get them started outdoors if your area has a real winter.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/