Old 04-02-2003, 06:21 AM
B & J

Default Lilacs-Atlanta

You might give some consideration to the lilac SYRINGA MICROPHLLA `SUPERBA',
a small lilac that is compact and dense, with a small leaf that is
reasonably free of the usual lilac leaf diseases such as powdery mildew. It
blooms in the spring with a pink bloom that reminds me of buddleia with
occasional blossoms during the summer if kept watered and will rebloom in
the fall. The common name is little leaf lilac. It doesn't have the huge
blooms of the French lilacs, but the fragrance is incredible, and it's size
makes it a good, small yard addition.

Our neighbors have one in their yard and asked me what it was. I didn't know
but recognized the distinctive lilac fragrance of the blooms. It's
incredibly easy to start from cuttings (6 cuttings, 6 plants), and I have
them in my holding bed (zone 6b, northern AR) waiting for spring planting.

John
"Nina Salkin" wrote in message
m...
"madgard" wrote in message

Atlanta is zone 7b...................all that humidity, plus the joys of
fireants as well......... but you gotta loves the south. at least

you're
prepared for the insanity of the Atlanta drivers having lived in
California............ madgardener who goes AROUND Atlanta whenever
possible on trips to avoid the "Hot-Lanta drivers"

Ah, but I'm moving down south from the north! I'm a northeast babe,
and the traffic down there is horrifying, even to a Lawnguylander!
Just want a week of lilacs ... is that too much to ask?
-Nina