Old 05-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Shiva

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:58:06 +0000 (UTC), saki wrote
this about Penelope:

(Shiva) wrote in
ws.com:

PENELOPE. Jesus, Alice, what were you thinking? If I want a GD azalea,
I'll plant one.

How different personal appreciations can be!

Truly!

I love Penelope. Mine just began to bloom in its first full season and
though it's smaller than just about everything else I have (it's young
yet), it's a stunner. With delicate semidouble petals that remind me of
porcelain, this rose seems to me more like a sasanqua camellia than an
azalea; there's something Far-Eastern and exotic about it to my
eyes...and it has an enchanting scent. I took these photos last week:

http://sakionline.net/penelope.htm

Really lovely--and a great reminder of why I wanted this rose. Mine
looks like this if you slow down and look closely--and I rarely do.
However, your photo made me go look a minute ago.

I tend to be intrigued by subtleties in roses rather than the screeching
look-at-me styles of many modern floribundas and hybrid teas

This is precisely the difference in our taste in roses--at least at
this point in my life. I LOVE to be knocked over by vivid, lucious,
big and beautiful blooms! Preferably in oranges, purples, and reds! I
like it when they take my breath away!

, so you can
understand my affection for Penelope's opalescent blush. Clearly though
it's not everyone's cup of tea, though if you're an Oolong fancier it
might be more your style.

You are really a beautiful writer--hope you do it elsewhere, too. Too
good to waste on Usenet! Though I appreciate reading it here in rgr.

Yes, Jeffrey, it IS okay to hate a rose.

I'm still wrestling with this concept. I haven't found a rose that I feel
inclined to hate, though some I won't grow for whatever reason (too big,
too leggy, too mildewy, too yellow, etc.).

A gentle soul! Another aspect I admire but do not share, to state the
obvious!

Some seem to hate *me*. I have a couple Jeanne LaJoie that simply won't
bloom. I had them in pots originally; switched them to the ground; just
dug them up and potted them back up in my convalescent area. I think I've
had them about eight years or so. Somehow I can't get rid of them. I
think there's a Good Rose somewhere inside those canes begging to get out
and I feel obligated to let it try.

----

I think it's fun to share and comtemplate our differences. They don't
have to square us off in opposition or conflict.