Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM
dave weil

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:37:36 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:58:06 +0000 (UTC), saki wrote
this about Penelope:

(Shiva) wrote in
ews.com:

PENELOPE. Jesus, Alice, what were you thinking? If I want a GD azalea,
I'll plant one.

How different personal appreciations can be!

Truly!

I love Penelope. Mine just began to bloom in its first full season and
though it's smaller than just about everything else I have (it's young
yet), it's a stunner. With delicate semidouble petals that remind me of
porcelain, this rose seems to me more like a sasanqua camellia than an
azalea; there's something Far-Eastern and exotic about it to my
eyes...and it has an enchanting scent. I took these photos last week:

http://sakionline.net/penelope.htm

Really lovely--and a great reminder of why I wanted this rose. Mine
looks like this if you slow down and look closely--and I rarely do.
However, your photo made me go look a minute ago.

I tend to be intrigued by subtleties in roses rather than the screeching
look-at-me styles of many modern floribundas and hybrid teas

This is precisely the difference in our taste in roses--at least at
this point in my life. I LOVE to be knocked over by vivid, lucious,
big and beautiful blooms! Preferably in oranges, purples, and reds! I
like it when they take my breath away!

You mean like this one?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DP1.jpg

Or this one?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DP2.jpg

Or maybe you want to see them at the same time on the same plant:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DP3.jpg

And finally, here's another interestingly ugly/beautiful ruffle on the
plant next door:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DP4.jpg