Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Ant

Default ants are eating the rose bud

Good idea, I'll try that too. thanks
Ant

Cass wrote:

In article , A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....

Can you find the trail up the rose cane? I use vaseline to stop the
ants from bothering the hummingbirds by swarming all over the nectar in
the hummingbird feeder. I put a big gross gob of vaseline petroleum
jelly around the hanger. Maybe you can find the ants' approach to your
rose and make a mote of vaseline.

There is a product called Tanglefoot that works on the same principle
and is specifically designed for insects in the garden. Here is the
website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests.htm#ants