Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

In article m, Shiva
writes
This thread is just for Jeffrey. Thanks for reminding me that it is
PERFECTLY FINE to like what we like and dislike what we dislike JUST
BECAUSE.

PEACE. I have heard all the debates about different strains etc., and
I am not sure what I think. I just know I hate this rose. BIG FAT ugly
yellow blooms with horrible quilled petals that want to ball. I had an
uncomfortable impulse early on that I later identified as the urge to
harvest the buds and boil them and butter them like brussels sprouts.
This is thee rose that taught me that the only thing worse than an
ugly rose is a PROLIFIC, VIGOROUS ugly rose.

Not only hideous, but, as you say, obese. I also hate Super Star, the
ubiquitous Compassion, and the dreadful Grandpa Dickson - what a shape!
My pet hate just now is the ghastly rhapsody in Blue, top rose in the UK
- and hideous, and not blue but a kind of stark purple. I can never
understand the quest for a blue rose.

However, I can't agree about Penelope - she seems divine to me,
delicate, dainty, fragile, like eighteenth-century porcelain. She
doesn't suggest azaleas to me either, but old ramblers like Rambling
Rector (mine is juuuust out now - what a sight and what a scent).
--
Jane Lumley