Old 06-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] ficus retusa and defoliation

Randi,
Your intuition is right. Wait until the weather is consistently hot and the
tree is as active as it gets. Defoliation will give you the best results at
that time.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
I have a ficus retusa that I overwintered in a green house and I moved the
tree outside mid April. Last summer I defoliated the tree with fabulous
results during the first week of July when the temps here (in Richmond Va)
were in the mid to upper 90's. I would like to defoliate again this year for
further ramification but wanted to know if I should wait until the temps here
are in the 90's and I am guaranteed consecutive days of sun as opposed to now
when the sun is sparse, rain is every other day and the temps are in the mid
70's to low 80's. The tree is extremely healthy but I want to defoliate with
least risk and also least delay in the 'sprouting' of new leaves.

Randi Sharp - Richmond, VA

Do you Yahoo!?
Free online calendar
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*...ndar.yahoo.com with sync to