Old 06-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ficus retusa and defoliation

I have a ficus retusa that I overwintered in a green house and
I moved the tree outside mid April. Last summer I defoliated the
tree with fabulous results during the first week of July when the
temps here (in Richmond Va) were in the mid to upper 90's. I
would like to defoliate again this year for further ramification
but wanted to know if I should wait until the temps here are in
the 90's and I am guaranteed consecutive days of sun as opposed
to now when the sun is sparse, rain is every other day and the
temps are in the mid 70's to low 80's. The tree is extremely
healthy but I want to defoliate with least risk and also least
delay in the 'sprouting' of new leaves.

Wait. A defoliated tree (no matter WHAT species) would have no
way to handle the wet soil you folks in the mid-Atlantic states
are getting. Trees get rid of excess water through their leaves.
If there are no leaves . . .

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++