Old 06-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Vox Humana

Default garden police gone wild?

wrote in message
What you say is not correct. There is no permit required for putting up a

fence
along a lot line.

I guess you didn't see my earlier message so I will copy the information
about fences below.

City of Brookfield, Wisconsin
Department of Community Development
2000 North Calhoun Road
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone (262) 796-6646 M-F (7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
FAX (262) 796-6702

THIS IS A LIST OF THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND
ANSWERS REGARDING FENCES

Q. Do I need a permit?
A. Yes, except for a decorative fence more than 50% open and less than 3' in
height.
Q. How much will a building permit for a fence cost?
A. $30.00.
Q. Can I put up a fence around my entire yard?
A. Yes, but only if it is a decorative fence more than 50% open and less
than 3' in
height such as a picket or split rail fence.
Q. You mean I can't fence in my own yard for privacy if I want?
A. Correct. You may not fence in your yard for privacy EXCEPT for a 20'
maximum
length, 6' maximum height privacy fence for a patio that must be located in
the rear
yard.
Q. What if I want to put up a chain link fence?
A. A chain link fence is permitted if it is used for one PET ENCLOSURE not
in excess
of 100 square feet in the rear yard and at least 10' from the lot line.
Chain link fence
is also allowed to enclose an ACTIVITY AREA FOR CHILDREN not more than 4'
in height and not more than 500 square feet in area.
Q. What about the fence at a swim pool or tennis court?
A. Fences at swim pool or tennis courts are governed by the swim pool and
tennis
court ordinances.
Q. How do I apply for a fence permit.
A. Application forms are available at the Inspection Services Department
Service desk.
Bring two copies of a typical fence panel drawing and four copies of a
survey (with
the proposed fence sketched in to scale) of the lot along with you when you
apply
for the permit.
Q. Must I have the lot line identified?
A. Yes. The corners shall be located with intermediate stakes or a reference
line from corner to corner. This line must remain in place during
construction
and final inspection.
NOTE: The property owner is responsible for correct placement of structures
upon a parcel of land to comply with the building and zoning law.
The edge of the City street pavement or back of curb is usually
NOT located on a property line.
Good luck with your project! Remember we are here to serve and protect you,
our
residents.
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Inspectors are in
from 7:00-8:00
a.m. and 2:30-3:30 p.m. Our telephone number is (262) 796-6646. Please call
if we may
be of further assistance.
S:\inspection\Handouts\HANDOUTS\FENCE 1/11/01