Old 07-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

Default Question about Arborvitae

FATJORDY wrote:

I was in France and saw (what looked like) aroborvitae used as a beautiful
dense fence/shrub to cover chainlink fencing. I REALLY liked how it looked, and
they seemed to top out at around 10-12 feet high.

Does anyone know a cultivar I could use this way in upstate NY? I always
thought arborvitae grew to 40-50 feet..

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' (aka 'Emerald' or 'Emerald Green') is a very common
cultivar that only grows to 10-15 feet. Another common small variety is 'Techny',
which is particularly recommended for northern gardens, but there are many smaller
growing forms of this common hedging plant.

pam - gardengal