Old 07-06-2003, 06:20 PM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , "Julia Green"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message newsaghat-
The vast majority of Homeowner Associations automatically reject Jews.

And there's no Once Upon A Time about it, blacks & jews & gays know full
well that if they attempt to move into a HOA and have to pass a
committee's idea of proper muster, they're gonna be weeded out.

I'm having trouble with this assertion myself, Paghat. That HOA place we
lived in Montgomery Village? We're Jewish and so we many of our neighbors.
(Not the NAN neighbor though s.) Unless most of the rest of the country
is very different (which could be, I suppose...our area was voted by Utne
Mag as the most enlightened area to live in the country) and I'm just very
naive...

Some places like Seattle & Monterey, apparently also where you live, have
fully integrated HOAs & a policy to stay so. Others are just
"automatically" Jew Free without trying, & if a non-observant Jew wanted
to buy a house there, likely no one would even ask -- observant Jews would
no better than to try where there's no synogogue within fifty miles. But
intentinonally integrated HOAs the a distinct minority, & even some of
those, like the Miami integrated HOA, is for Christians only, of any race.
When the majority do advertise "Christian living" or at least distribute
lists of churches to prospective buyers, they're doing what they can to
keep YOU aware you might be comfier someplace else.

Would YOU have guessed a regular old Marin County HOA would expend months
of volunteer energy & easily get 600 signatures practically overnight in
their desire to stop Orthodox Jews from living just outside the boundaries
of their HOA -- as their first excuse for their behavior, a fear that
Orthodox Jews will be racing their cars through the neighborhoods on
Saturday while children play! When that one didn't wash, they had a
back-up preposterous excuse: synogogues are noisy. It's not like Marin
County is famously KKK dominated -- these were just "regular" Christian
people who couldn't stand the idea of a tiny handful of Jews in the next
neighborhood over. It indeed sounds just too ignorant to be true, but it's
what happened, it's what the Lucas Valley HOA expended all that energy
attempting to do (& failing, but causing a lot of unwanted expense & grief
not getting their way -- except they did get their way because now more
Jews know not to try to buy into HOA districts).

This sort of thing is not all one-way, though Jews who avoid living with
black folks don't usually try to incorporate their neighborhood, so it's
not an issue of HOA racism. I lived in the Jewish Maplewood district of
Seattle for years, in walking distance of a synogogue, with several delis,
but over time the neighborhood became black. The older community began to
close their businesses, finally closed the synogogue & built a new one on
Mercer Island, & all the observant Jews sold their houses within an
18-month period & movedto Mercer Island to a Black Free zone. Even those
of us who were very little observant or not at all, who remained longest,
slowly wandered on, because a neighborhood full of catfish joints & soul
burgers wasn't quite the same as neighborhood delis & latkes a short walk
away. When I run into friends from that no-longer-Jewish old neighborhood,
I used to ask, "Why'd everyone have to leave all of a sudden?" There
could've been lots of answer, the neighborhood really had deteriorated,
the high school kids in one of the city's largest high schools could be a
nuisance. But the answer was never complex; it was always one word only:
"Shfartza!"

So it's not only goyim who have deeply ingrained very bad attitudes; &
it's true these sorry-ass attitudes don't make everyone awful in every
aspect of their lives. But being one church or synogogue at a time in need
of a greater moral tolerance is quite different than incorporating a
neighborhood so that bigotry can have a little weight of law behind it to
sustain. HOAs would not exist today if the primary intent was to make sure
everyone mowed their lawn often enough. It is quite a complicated
procedure to incorporate a neighborhood as a semi-independent
self-governing body, & the ONLY privileges they have that one doesn't have
outside the reach of the HOA is they get to personally level fines against
people rather than having the fire department do it on the basis of city
or county regulations instead of HOA rules, & they get to assess who their
neighbors are permitted to be before sales are final, thereby voiding the
majority of Civil Rights gains. Obviously blacks get it LOTSworse than
Jews, & especially as a non-observant Jew it becomes easy to be 100%
assimilated & buddies primarily with goyim, including even goyim who have
issues with blacks but think we're just fine.

But when these enclaves define themselves as Christian and/or advertise
how many churches their community has (INVARIABLY leaving off the lists
the only synogogue & the only Buddhist temple), the message is pretty
damned clear without them having to be more explicit. That HOAs do
additionally commonly ban together to harrass nearby minorities may be
outside the law, but is certainly a related manner, as when the Placido
del Mar broke tirelessly harrassed an elderly Malaysian woman, from
spraypainting warnings on her house to breaking a water main beside her
house & refusing to fix it, & only after ten years of this kind of
continuous hate-tactics was the government finally forced to move against
the HOA. If you think these same people LIKE Jews, you've clearly made it
easy for them to not notice you are one, in the same way faggots & dykes
learn to keep heads down. Which is not to say you might be wonderfully
lucky to live in a genuinely liberal area, & no reason to look TOO hard
for another underlying reality.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"