Old 08-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Vox Humana

Default garden police gone wild?

"Tom J" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:09:43 -0400, Ann wrote:

Tom J expounded:

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Sorry, but I find Vox to be as rabid as Paghat on this one.

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

I agree. I don't see anything rabid in my arguments. If there is some flaw
of logic, then address it. To call someone "rabid" because you don't like
their viewpoint is simply an ad hominem attack. Out of the 150 homes in my
subdivision, only about two or three have any serious, ongoing violations.
They are the same two or three people who continue to ignore the contract
that they signed at closing. No one comes to meetings. That indicates to
me that people aren't upset about the situation. I don't hear any neighbors
ranting about the rules.

My position on the subject is simple. HOA rules are on file in your county
courthouse. You should ask to see a copy before you sign the planned unit
development rider at closing. You should talk to the people in the
neighboring houses to see what they think about the level of enforcement.
You might want to call the management company or board president. If you
sign the agreement the you should expect to live by the agreement. In
exchange for the restrictions, you have an assurance that your neighborhood
will remain as good (or bad) as it was when you moved in. You will
probably have the use of some common areas including a pool, tennis courts,
playground, and/or clubhouse. Don't expect the basic covenants and
restrictions to be changed or abolished. You can participate in the actions
of the board and change things like the architectural rules that are at the
discretion of the board. HOA are bound by Federal, state, and local civil
rights laws. HOAs generally don't get involved with the sale of your home
except to specify the type of "for sale" sign that you place in your yard.