Old 22-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Where to take a visiting gardener?

My oldest, dearest friend (from 4th grade, several decades ago) will be
visiting me this weekend.

I'm looking for suggestions to "show her a good time" that *don't only*
involve going to the local garden center & buying lots of neat plants that I
have to dig holes for -- don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of plants of all
kinds, it's the "hole digging" that our 50-something selves don't want to
squander our efforts on! (okay, okay, so I'm talking just about me --
just you wait, young'uns, you'll get there!)

I'd been thinking of a trip to Plant Delights, but it's not open to visitors
until May (according to the website).

Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh is a major attraction, especially since we can
have lunch at Neomonde. (I'm still trying to reconcile my "western PA girl"
friend who loved our lunch at Neomonde with the same person who *really*
enjoyed my lame attempt at barbecued ribs that evening, considering that she
had never eaten them -- and forget the fact that she now lives in
Memphis!!! --sorry, I digress, sigh..... I do that now & then)

" Back to gardens, Anne"

Okay, now that my guardian angel -- or one of the powers that be -- has
pointed me back to my topic, anybody have any suggestions?

Actually, I've never seen the Duke Gardens -- worth a trip?

Um, yeah -- I'm gonna answer my own question he Yes, it's worth the
trip, and No, it's really not that far -- except in my own mind!

Thanks for listening -- as if you had a choice!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh