Old 22-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Anne Lurie

Default lopper question

Judi,

I don't have any experience with "ratcheting" loppers, but I can tell you
that ratcheting hand clippers have been my favorites for at least 15 years.
Unfortunately, their primary virtue (lightweight) has proven to be the
biggest "con" (short-lived). However, I can attest that I find the
convenience & light weight *way* offsets having to replace them!

I wish I could find them locally, but I have had trouble. I get mine from
Gardener's Supply in Vermont.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"J. Fleming" wrote in message
I go away for a little bit and there is all kinds of chatter in this
group. How wonderful! It is like Springtime in here.

And speaking of Spring, I'm in search of the rachetting loppers I've
seen on some tv garden shows. Can't find them locally. Has anyone
gotten them and can give a short review of how they worked for you? I
have four acres of trees that got hit hard in the ice storm and need to
be trimmed and pruned and cut down as necessary. There are at least
three dozen good sized loblollies snapped off at 30 feet.

Then there is that sapsucker that found my place two weeks ago and has
chosen to "bleed" several of the trees (it is most welcome to them), but
the pine beetles are a real nuisance and have killed four mature
loblollies and are working on two more. And although we cleaned up a
tractor-trailer sized stack of limbs from our one acre of open land, it
looks like we will have several more such stacks once we clean out all
the trees damaged by Mother Nature's various methods.

The good news is that the trees will be thinned and more healthy, plus
there is the bonus of having more open space to garden in, but the bad
is the back-breaking nature of tree cleanup. sigh So good loppers, a
nice front-end loader/backhoe, and a full-sized chipper/shredder will be
rented to do the dirty deeds over the next several weekends (weather
permitting). I don't think I will recognize my yard after that!

Bye for now,

Judi