Old 09-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

Which ones? Inquiring minds, you know!

Well, now you've asked....

Mme Gregoire Staechlin, aka Spanish Beauty - very tough and vigorous,
too, but the flowers are really worth having, and she also does fine
hips.
Off the top of my head:

Anna Pavlova
Lady Mary Fitzwilliam
Ophelia

I'd say from the specimen I saw at Chelsea that it's just about the same
shade as Cardinal Richelieu after three or four days on the bush. But
it's more saturated. Don't like the shape either, or the scent.

Hmm. Never saw the Cardinal. Maybe two more to add to this year's
list.

He's a darling. Dark sinister red, blood-of-the-vampire red, maturing
in flower to Gothic purple, and refluxing to almost ball shape. Ideal
for the Goth Garden. He's a Gallica, of course.

Glad I didn't cause needless offence - thank you for your reassurances,
--
Jane Lumley