Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

Default water circulation in deep well

John,

You could get good circulation of the water in the well with an air stone
and pump. Just be sure the pump is capable of pumping to that depth. The
increase circulation will help remove debris that accumulates in the depths,
partly by causing it to rise to the skimmer and partly by increasing oxygen
for the aerobic bacteria. If you are in an area where freezing of the water
surface occurs, then the air stone can be raised near the surface in the
winter to keep an opening in the ice. Air pumps are much more energy
efficient than water pumps.
--
RichToyBox

"John Bachman" wrote in message
Hi,

My pond is 1300 gallons, 8 X10' with a plant shelf 18" down and 18"
wide. In the middle is a well that is 40" deep with vertical sides.
I use a skimmer filter which feeds a waterfall (actually 3 waterfalls
in series and about a 6' stream that empties into the pond.

After watching it for a couple of weeks now, I am wondering if I am
getting much circulation of the water in the deep part. I have three
small fish and they spend a lot of time in the deep parts, so I guess
that means that there is adequate oxygen for them there.

Do you think that I need to do something to assure circulation of the
deep well water? If so, a small submersible pump or what?

TIA

John