Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Care Tips for your trees #4 -- Summer (LONG!)

G'day All...

I take the liberty to post these questions because the answers

may help others.

Jim...great write up. Two questions...

First, in your "shade" section, you say: "...summer heat and

moisture often
causes it (moss) to melt from mold and bacteria..." Is this

accurate? If
"yes" could you explain what you mean by "melt from mold and

bacteria".

Well, you really have to see it to understand, Pat, and I doubt
you have any very lush moss crops out there. But in effect, your
moss grows a coating of gray slime and turns to mush. But you
need 90-degee-plus heat and 80 percent-plus humidity to attain
that artistic effect, and you desert guys die at 30% humidity.

Second, in your "weeding" section, you say: "...Weeds are the

mostly a problem
of early summer..." Should "the" be removed?

Of course. Need you have asked? This is why one NEVER should
rely on the author for the final edit of anything he or she has
worked on for a week or more. He/she KNOWS what is supposed to
be there and doesn't see what gets left in from one of the 2,103
earlier edits. Up to an earlier draft (# 2,000, I think) I had
that weeds are "one of the major problems of early summer. . ."
I later (in draft 2,001) I decided that weeds also can (or may)
be a problem in later summer in some areas. I took out "one of"
but missed the "the," so it is a relict remainder of that earlier
version. It happens. Most folks figure it out.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++