Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 PM
shannie

Default Tadpoles eating fish in pond???

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , "dave @ stejonda"
writes
In message , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

Frogs can and often do bring disease into garden ponds by moving from
infected places. Red Leg is a serious and common disease of frogs that
is transmitted to fish causing serious problems. Every spring I treat
my pond with a suitable anti-parasite/bacteria and the fish (and
arriving frogs) stay healthy.

We did find a fish with a fungal disease earlier this year - we removed
it, treated it but it died. I then treated the pond with FC+.

I also bought a water testing kit - I'll test the pond later today.

ph 7.5 Ok
Nitrite 0 ppm Ok
O2 13-15 ppm Ok
Ammonia 0 ppm Ok
Chlorine/Chloramine 0 ppm Ok

BUT Chlorine/Chloramine in tap water 0.3 ppm and we have been refilling
the pond from the tap which I guess may have been stressing the fish -
the rain-water barrels have just found another use.

--
dave @ stejonda

If you run out of rainwater, don't panic, get some tap water
conditioner/dechlorinator ie. Tap Safe by Tetra (one I use) not only does it
remove chlorine/Chloramine, but removes heavy metals from tap water which
are also damaging to fish, however, you should be aware that rainwater is
likely to be somewhere in the region of ph 5-6 which is acidic and goldfish
require alkaline water of 7-7.5. If you test your rainwater and find it's
too acidic you can put crushed oystershell in your filter which will bring
your ph up. There are also other things like Arm & Hammer baking soda which,
if you add that to the water the max ph it will reach is 8.2 (normally sits
around 7.9) however you have to be careful not to raise the ph by more than
..2 per day as this may lead to ph shock and kill the fish, so it needs to be
done very slowly.

Not sure if this is going off topic or not so if you want to mail me please
do
shannieatutvinternetdotcom (just replace the usual)

HTH
Colin (shannies partner)