Old 11-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Yet another algae question...

Oh I highly agree with you about the benefits on a food level. I promote
algae in my big pond (6 acres) so that the chain of life continues and my
fish get fed. But in an aquarium or small pond where the point is to see the
fish algae makes us hate it.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Fred,

Algae is only bad if it's in such a large concentration that

it
risks starving your fish of oxygen at night or if it risks killing

plants
because it engulfs them and prevents them from photosynthesizing. People

in
this group consider all algae bad all the time but that's because it
interfers with all of us viewing our fishes. If algae was transparent

I'd
doubt there'd ever be much discussion about algae.

Here, here...I have a feeder tank in my home office. It has been green

solid
for months...the fish seem to love it. I tossed a pl*co in there and he

will
soon be walking around the room he is getting so big. Algea are our

friends.

BV.