Old 12-06-2003, 02:20 AM
animaux

Default pelletized gypsum (to amend clay soil)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:28:53 -0500, Carl e Roberts wrote:

I have returned from the local garden center with a 40# bag of
pelletized gysum. I have two areas in mind that I wish to further "break
down" the clay soil to a more friable condition with better tilth and
not as hard packed as it currently is. My questions a At what rate
should this gypsum be applied?
Can I "top dress" with this gypsum or is it necessary to work into the
soil? When should I see results?

If the soil is adequately moist, I would recommend you turn it a bit with a thin
tine fork and try to break up the clods. Water it very well for at least one
inch of water about three days before you plan to work it. If it still clumps,
it is not dry enough, if it is too hard, it is not moist enough.

The other thing you can do is kin to how farmers disc the soil. Rough it up, so
to speak. Take the fork and after watering so the soil is softer (not soaked
and clumped) rock the fork back and forth to tear at it. Break the "tension" of
the soil. Put the gyp down at about ten pounds per every 100 square feet. Let
it get into the torn soil. Water well, put mulch on top and in about three
months you should be able to work the soil with more ease.

At the same time, the addition of compost would be ideal. Adding just gyp to
the soil without compost will render the whole process null.