Old 12-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Fred

Default Yet another algae question...

This is all fine, and I agree in principle. My question, though, involves
the floating roots. Is this typical behavior with algae and floaters, or is
it a sign that the pond may be choking?

On 6/11/03 7:29 AM, in article ,
"Sam Hopkins" wrote:

Fred,

Algae is only bad if it's in such a large concentration that it
risks starving your fish of oxygen at night or if it risks killing plants
because it engulfs them and prevents them from photosynthesizing. People in
this group consider all algae bad all the time but that's because it
interfers with all of us viewing our fishes. If algae was transparent I'd
doubt there'd ever be much discussion about algae.

Sam

"Fred" wrote in message
I continually read the algae threads and recently got confused.

I'm not worried about the pea soup stuff - it comes and then goes. I've
learned to be patient.

However, my floater roots and to some extent my anacharis get covered with
"stuff", including string algae, that causes them to float to the surface.
That is, the roots of the hyacinth are often splayed out and floating on

the
surface rather than dangling down in the water. Is this normal? Is it a
bad sign?

TIA,

Fred