Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Default pelletized gypsum (to amend clay soil)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:06:16 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

So you are saying that all those who recommend gypsum to assist breaking
up heavy clay soil are wrong? What do you base this opinion on?

David

Good question. I have used it on soil which was so dead, so full of clay, had
barely 1% organic matter and was clearly stripped of its top horizon that I had
only subsoil to work with. Builders are fond of stripping the top horizon of
soil and they sell it to the topsoil companies, who bag it up and sell it back
to you for a few dollars a bag.

Fortunately, the builder didn't do that to this house because before they did I
insisted they leave every piece of weed and soil in place or the deal was over.
Austin, Texas is a far more green part of Texas. There is much awareness about
the environment and there are many lobbyists and people who stand up to big
government tactics where environmental issues are concerned.

Back to gypsum...I don't have time to explain the process, but I've used in on
awful muck clay, and it helped make the clay friable.