Old 12-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Chester Deja

Default Yet another algae question...

I have a new large 35' x 55' pond and I started having major string
algae early this year after the winter thaw. I added barley straw to
the pond and within 3 weeks all the string algae was gone and the
water cleared up. The water was crystal clear down to about 3.5 feet
of the 5 foot depth until I had the bright idea to take the barley
straw halfway out for a long weekend when I was gone because my huge
pond looked too clean. When I got back my pond was pea soup and to
this day it still has not gotten as clear as it was. Ug!

I got my bale at wholesale prices at:

http://www.naturalsolutionsetc.com/

because it came complete with bags and leader string and was cheap
compared to elsewhere I looked. The bale they sent me will last my
pond 2 or 3 years - stored in the dry basement.

The stuff works and it is natural. It works by the decay of the
barley straw slow time releases Hydrogen Perodixe into the water
killing the alge. Barley straw works the best for the least amount of
straw.

Rick

ospam (Moontanman) wrote in message ...
I agree that most algae is good for a pond or an aquarium but the string algae
i have been trying to fight is just ruining my pond.It forms hugs mats under
water engulfing other plants and even entangling fish. what can it do?

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me