Old 13-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Ali

Default Transplanting Irises

I'd dig *all* the iris up, pick out all the best ones, replant some for
yourself and some for your friend. Should do okay, if they're planted well
and you cut the greenery back to help it conserve it's energy (4 - 6
inches). And keep them well watered considering your climate. We've dug up
irises here when it was in the 90s F and sunny, and they came back fine the
next year to bloom. They seem almost as tollerant of abuse as the daylilies.

If you're really worried, maybe you could plant the pieces in pots so your
friend can put them in a slightly shady spot on the porch or wherever until
better weather arrives for settling them into the bed.

Hope that helps,

Ali

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
Hi! Please forgive a lurker's abrupt intrusion. : ) A friend is coming

over
today and wants to dig up some of my overgrown irises and give them a new

home.
Is it safe to do that in a desert climate with the heat of summer just

upon
us? I moved some this spring, and I'm not sure they're going to come

back.

Any help appreciated.

Nancy in Boise