Old 13-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Tom La Bron

Default Ingrid re Hydrogen peroxide dip

John,

A more effective procedure that doesn't require quick dipping is using the
3% H2O2 that you all ready have and putting in to a container with a
concentration of 17.5 ml H2O2 per liter of water and dipping the fish for 10
minutes. This particular procedure is recommended by vets and
aquaculturists in the field of fish care and is easier to manage.

The procedure that Ingrid is suggesting has not been proven to be effective
by any scientific study and there are certainly no authoritative write ups
on the procedure outside of Ingrid saying that it works.

In fact, both Noga and other vets say that the concentrations used in
Ingrid's procedure can be fatal.

Oh, to answer you question H2O2 can "burn" the gills of the fish if too high
a concentration is used.

HTH

Tom L.L.
"John Rutz" wrote in message

I was busy catching the fish while all this was happening I found out
just now that the ones helping with the dipping left the fish in longer
than the 10 seconds I think maybe up to 30 seconds

would that have any adverse effect?
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com