Old 13-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default catfish food for koi :-)

What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?

Ingrid and Joann, what do you both think about this catfish food thing?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...
I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was suggested
that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as it is a growth not
maintenance food. Our koi and goldfish are very inexpensive, as are our
goldfish. I calculated that the savings on the first bag of catfish food
would replace all my koi. So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have
koi that slurp (oops, suck) it up like mad. At this point they are
thriving! They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I
appreciate those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
.. .
A few years ago there was a discussion here (I think it was here) about
feeding koi and large goldfish catfish food. I remember all kinds of

dire
warnings. We pay $10.99 for a 50 lb bag of catfish chow here in TN. If

we
buy koi food it runs around $35 for a small 10 lb bag. The koi are

getting
big and really pack the food away now. After 3 years I can attest to

the
fact that koi THRIVE on this food as do all the goldfish. I do buy a
smaller pellets for the smaller fish.

There's been no disease or parasites since we've started using this

food,
and also LymnoZyme a few times in early spring. Every single fish

survived
the winter.
--
Carol.......