Old 14-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Anne Lurie

Default catfish food for koi :-)

With all due respect for Carol, whose signature is eminently sensible,
what's with the " picked up the keyboard and pecked out" a response???

Sorry, sorry, I just realized that it's Friday the 13th -- this may
perhaps explain why I find the "somebody done somebody wrong" quoting
appellations more interesting than the material actually quoted.

I think I shall take a sabbatical from newsgroups until next month.... watch
out, WordRacer, here I come!

My apologies, Wind/Carol and the rest of you,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
In a fit of sanity: Phyllis and Jim Hurley picked up the keyboard and
pecked out:
:: I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was
:: suggested that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as
:: it is a growth not maintenance food.

** And I believe those who make and sell koi food would like us all to
purchase it from them - and not at a feed store for so much less. The
difference in price is hard to believe. Someone's making a lot of money.
My koi's livers must be fine because not only are they healthy with no
deaths in several years but they bred this spring. :-)

Our koi and goldfish are
:: very inexpensive, as are our goldfish. I calculated that the
:: savings on the first bag of catfish food would replace all my koi.
:: So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have koi that slurp
:: (oops, suck) it up like mad.

** My koi are like vacuum cleaners..... anything edible that hits the

water
gets sucked in.

At this point they are thriving!
:: They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I appreciate
:: those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

** What got me started with koi food was seeing a man down in town's koi

and
goldfish. They were huge, well filled out, no sickness, plenty of fry

every
year - and all they ever got was catfish food and whatever insects and

bugs
fell into the water. I asked what he was feeding them and he showed me

the
food and where to buy it.... I've been getting it there ever since. No
need to pay $5 to $10 a lb for koi chow.
--
Carol.......
"War does not determine who is right,