Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Default catfish food for koi :-)

Carol,

I would not worry about your KOI's livers or those of your Goldfish because
most of that fat that builds up around the heart and liver are created
because of feeding of high protein foods all the time. Most of the catfish
foods sold are 32% protein although there are some 36% feeds that are used
to baby fish. If you continue to feed the 32% variety you will be fine.

Tom L.L.
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
In a fit of sanity: Phyllis and Jim Hurley picked up the keyboard and
pecked out:
:: I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was
:: suggested that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as
:: it is a growth not maintenance food.

** And I believe those who make and sell koi food would like us all to
purchase it from them - and not at a feed store for so much less. The
difference in price is hard to believe. Someone's making a lot of money.
My koi's livers must be fine because not only are they healthy with no
deaths in several years but they bred this spring. :-)

Our koi and goldfish are
:: very inexpensive, as are our goldfish. I calculated that the
:: savings on the first bag of catfish food would replace all my koi.
:: So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have koi that slurp
:: (oops, suck) it up like mad.

** My koi are like vacuum cleaners..... anything edible that hits the

water
gets sucked in.

At this point they are thriving!
:: They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I appreciate
:: those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

** What got me started with koi food was seeing a man down in town's koi

and
goldfish. They were huge, well filled out, no sickness, plenty of fry

every
year - and all they ever got was catfish food and whatever insects and

bugs
fell into the water. I asked what he was feeding them and he showed me

the
food and where to buy it.... I've been getting it there ever since. No
need to pay $5 to $10 a lb for koi chow.
--
Carol.......
"War does not determine who is right,