Old 14-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Sand sand and sand

"kcchin" wrote:

I have a small garden 30meter square. I dig down and find that the top 40cm
is just plain sand ,little or no clay or silt. Any crop I plant, the soil is only good for
one crop, next generation are stunted and will not grow.
I assume that I have exhuasted the nutrients for that crop.

What do I do?
Cart off the top soil (in this case sand, sand) and replace it with a lorry
load of garden soil, or could I do something else?

I have access to limitless amount of dry leaves throughout the year to use
if I choose to.

Use the leaves, layered with green grass clippings or animal
manure if you can find it, as a very thick mulch. Pile it on,
let it settle, and plant right into the layers of mulch.

Any organic material you can find can be layered onto the
planting beds ... just keep adding layers of material. Don't
till, and if you pull weeds, let them wilt and add them to the
layers.

Also use the leaves to make a compost heap, with kitchen scraps,
grass clippings, animal manure, or other organic matter, then add
the compost to the layers.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both