Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Greens! =)

Leandra wrote in message . au...
Hi all,

I'm very much into environmentally friendly alternatives. And a
seriously considering putting together somesort of solar assisseted
lighting system for my tank.

Just wondering if anyone else has other green ideas or tips for fish tanks.

Leandra =)

I saw a solar tracking lens that gathers and points the light
anywhere into your house, cost about 3000-4000$ and then you need to
install it and place a large Observatory looking things on your roof.
But , it does't use much electric. Monolith Marine Monsters carried
it.

Also use high efficiency lighting and don't use more than 2w/gal. Use
wastewater efficicently to water your garden/plants etc. Buy bulk
fert's, reduces packaging, feed spirulinia algae to fish, compost
plant trimmings. Use filtration with good efficicency like Canister
filters(Good flow rates/bio media volume and easy to deal with).

There are many other little things one can do. I catch native fish for
my tanks.

There are many levels you can approach this from. Electric is just one
of them. Perhaps the most useful are the ideas that lower intital
cost, running cost, make it easier on the owner.

Regards,
Tom Barr