Old 14-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Henry

Default Starting a new climbing rosebush

[[snipage - about layering roses]]

Shiva wrote:
Henry, this is the first propagation method that actually sounds
attractive enough that I want to try it. Have you done this much, and
what sort of results have you had?

I've not done it much but I've had success with it. When I take
cuttings, they tend either to dry out or get infected with fungus and
die (i.e. either not enough or too much water). With this method, you
can pretty much leave them alone and not have to worry about them much.
Since the stem is still being fed from the mother plant, you don't
have to worry about keeping it fed and since it is open to the air, it's
less likely to get moldy. It may take longer but what's the rush?

With more rigid roses, air layering is an option. In this case, you
wrap the area where you want roots to grow in wet sphagnum moss and then
with plastic.

I've seen this, and it looks more complicate, but still better than
budding.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. I'm getting set to do this in the next
week or so. I'll take pictures to try to illustrate the process and
post them on the web.

By the way, your posts do not show up in teranews, so I miss a lot of
them. Cotse has been down lately and I hate reading in OE.

I wondered about that. Posts from home weren't showing up at work and
visa versa. If this one makes it (from home), then I'll know the falt
is at the news server at work. They do seem to show up in google
eventually.

--
Henry