Old 14-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Henry

Default Starting a new climbing rosebush

Rose wrote:
(Shiva) wrote in message ws.com...

Rose wrote:

The original poster asked:

I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Then Henry said:

An easy way, particularly on a climber and when you have "long-term"
access to the rose (as it sounds like you do) is to "layer" the rose.
The trick here is to get the rose to root a stem without cutting the
stem off first. Take a cane and lie it down on the ground. With your
thumbnail, score the cane over a short bit, a couple inches should work
fine. Bury that scored section of the cane in the ground or in a pot
and hold it down with a rock or bamboo canes bent back on themselves.
It needs to be well buried, say three or four inches. Keep the are
watered as you do the rest of the garden. If it dries out, particularly
after roots have started forming, they will die and you'll have to start
over. If you have rooting hormone, you can use that but since there's
less rush with this method, it's not really necessary. Just let it stay
like that and eventually, you will have another plant. Wait at least
two months before checking for roots. Cut the stem below where you
buried it (on the side towards the "mother plant") and dig it up.

Henry, this is the first propagation method that actually sounds
attractive enough that I want to try it. Have you done this much, and
what sort of results have you had?

With more rigid roses, air layering is an option. In this case, you
wrap the area where you want roots to grow in wet sphagnum moss and then
with plastic.

I've seen this, and it looks more complicate, but still better than
budding.

By the way, your posts do not show up in teranews, so I miss a lot of
them. Cotse has been down lately and I hate reading in OE.

I didn't get Henry's post either. He's probably using the
No-Archive-X at the top of the post. Is it complete here or have I
missed something?

I think it's my news server at work. Yes, this is the entire post.

--
Henry