Old 14-06-2003, 10:20 PM
RedForeman

Default Greens! =)

I'm very much into environmentally friendly alternatives. And a
seriously considering putting together somesort of solar assisseted
lighting system for my tank.

In general, I don't like greenies, because of personal opinions, treehuggers
driving their vehicles to protest that a forest is in danger of pollution
from a nearby highway, leads me to think, they see things too differently
for me to ever agree on their views, but this isn't a politics group, so
allow me my opinion, I'll never bring it up again....

What I do have to offer is this, in industrial installations, they use fiber
optic cable to capture light fromthe roof using mirrored bowls... that fiber
cable is insulated and routed to where it is to be used, and using a special
made reflector, is split several times inside a coupling junction and the
smaller branches of fiber are directed specifically where they are
needed....

What I heard, is one .2mm fiber can carry more light for a longer distance
without losing it's potency more efficiently than a MH bulb can put out in
one spot... an apples to apples comparison was done, and they proved that
the use of the sun capture cables, is extremely viable and will prove to
save big buildings and such $10ks a month in lighting bills.... I do
remember they use flourescent and fiber as 50% of their lights during night
and bad weather.... the energy gets stored in capacitors and discharges very
slowly... the one example they gave was to light this one building it costed
like $450 a day and with the fiber, only costed $7.50 using 100% fiber....
they guessed that someday, solar will make a comeback and this method while
real expensive now, will drop and begin making a residential debut in a few
years... so there is hope....

sorry to go on, but it was coming back to me as I typed....