Old 15-06-2003, 05:32 PM
K30a

Default To Feed or Not to Feed GF

New ponds will turn green so it may not be related to the fish being fed.
Usually we suggest filling the new pond and putting in lots of plants. Then
wait.
The reason is that it gives the pond time to grow food for the fish. Green
substrate algae growing on the sides of things. Insects to lay eggs and larva
to hatch. Little flying critters to get stuck in the surface tension of the
water.
Those are the things that fish eat in the wild.
If you have 20 gallons per fish, or more, they can do well without being fed.
I had fish triple in size when they were in an 800 gallon pond. They were never
fed. One was in there for three years before I finally caught him, nice sized.
(This pond is now fishless.)

k30a